Managing Partner CQ Legal & Consulting
Ms Cynthia Quarcoo is a legal practitioner with extensive experience as a Corporate, Finance, Energy and Infrastructure lawyer in Ghana and the United Kingdom. She is the Founder and Managing Partner of CQ Legal and Consulting (An Accra based law firm), where she heads the Banking and Finance, Energy/Power and Infrastructure Practices. Ms Quarcoo has over 16 years’ experience representing institutional and international clients. Her credentials include:
- Acting as Joint Legal Counsel for the 2019 US$3 billion Government of Ghana Sovereign Bond
- Leading and advising the project sponsors on a project finance structuring of a $1.5m Nigerian-South African joint venture coal to power infrastructure project.
- Advising on the commercial, legal, risk and governance position for various infrastructure and other investments by one of the world’s largest merchant banks in numerous projects across West Africa.
She is also founder of Africa1media, a multi-functioning professional services firm with a unique focus on providing business and legal counsel to creatives. Africa 1 Media supports creatives in their efforts to advance their talent whilst paying close attention to national and international legal frameworks and protocols which guard and regulate their industries and sectors. She set up Africa 1 Media specifically to help realize the dreams and ambitions of talented and driven aspiring Africans.
Other notable achievements include, recognition by Chambers Global and Legal 500 as a leading lawyer within the field of ‘General Business Law (Ghana)’ (2009 – 2012 editions) and recognition as a leading lawyer by IFLR 1000. She was recently honoured with a “Life Time Achievement Award” at the 5th Feminine Ghana Achievement Awards 2019 for her contribution towards the empowerment of professionals in the Legal and Creative Arts sectors. She is a Contributor to the World Bank’s flagship “Doing Business Project” (2007-2019), and contributor to the “Investment Guide to Sub-Saharan Africa: ‘What Chinese Investors Need to Know”2011 and The International Trade Centre (Joint WTO and UN Agency), Model Contracts for Small Firms: Legal Guidance for Doing International Business 2010.
She holds an LLM in Corporate Commercial Law and is currently undertaking an LLM in Banking and Finance Law. She also holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics and Business Law, and is a Barrister of England and Wales, Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ghana. She is a member of Lincoln’s Inn, the Ghana Bar Association and the Financial Services Lawyers Association, UK (FSLA)
She sits on the boards of GUBA Enterprise, CENIT Energy, Ghana India Trade Advisory Centre (to name a few).
She is a mother of six and a mentor to many young professionals. She has also dedicated time to empowering many by sharing her knowledge and experiences through speaking events and round table discussions. Some of her speaking engagements include:
- Speaker, The African Business Conference 2019 (Georgetown University)
- Panelist, International Sheroes Forum 2019
- Speaker, GUBA Diaspora Transition, 2019
- Keynote Speaker, Woman CEO Summit, 2018
Speaker, Ideas Factory, 2016